Chair of Committee,
Director of SEA-HVO Traveling Fellowships
Jo M. Davies, MB, BS, FRCA
Designee Chair of Committee,
Co-Director of SEA-HVO Traveling Fellowships
Viji Kurup, MD
Ex-officio Director of SEA-HVO Traveling Fellowships
Lena E. Dohlman, MD, MPH
Committee Mission Statement
The committee works through education and overseas teaching Fellowships to promote the safety and quality of anesthetics given in the developing world. The committee encourages SEA members to learn lessons about intercultural communication, conservation of resources, and management of conditions not commonly seen in the US.
Goals and Objectives
- Maintain the number of scholarships for the SEA HVO Traveling Fellowship.
- Help improve the committee’s portion of the SEA web site.
- Work on summary teaching aids for the developing world.
- We will continue to try to improve the SEA web site as a resource for anesthesiologists interested in working in a developing country as educators or for professional development.
- We will continue to develop Teaching Aids for students in developing countries, with a view to distributing them through mobile apps and educational websites, as well as sending them in digital format with SEA/HVO Fellows when they go on their trips. We will be using the Stanford and Harvard emergency checklists in addition to our own, with plans to adapt them (with the backing of the authors) to specific sites.
- Lena Dohlman has set up a Global Health program at Harvard and is working with colleagues from this committee and outside to develop a Global Health curriculum to base other programs on.
- To create a roster of former Fellows to see whether they have stayed in academics and if they have continued to volunteer.
The SEA-HVO Traveling Fellowship
- Application information and form
- Goals and objectives (full version for registered users only)
- Health Volunteers Overseas Website
- Fellowship Donors
- How to Donate
- SEA Traveling Fellows 2016 announced
- SEA Traveling Fellows 2016
- SEA Traveling Fellows 2013
- Previous SEA-HVO Traveling Fellows (coming soon)
- Quotes & Photos from Fellowship Trips
- Tips & Resources for Teaching in a Developing Country
- INTERNATIONAL ROTATIONS RESOURCES - Useful Information for residents, SEA-HVO Fellows and Program Directors
- Template for Letter to the ABA
- ABA guidelines on how a program can set up a standing (permanent) site overseas (ONLY for programs wanting to set up a standing program with another institution)
- How to receive credit for overseas training (courtesy of Dr. Carol Warfield and Dr. Lena Dohlman)
- How to obtain ACGME approval on a case-by-case basis for overseas rotations
- RRC Requirements for International Rotations
- Creation of an ACGME Approved Rotation for Short Term Surgical Service Trips (presented at the ASA by Dr. Karen Boretsky)
- The International Charter for Human Values in Healthcare - http://charterforhealthcarevalues.org
- International Opportunities
Golden Apple Award
Congratulations to Jo Davies MB, BS, FRCA on receiving the Golden Apple Award! Click here for details.
Members of Committee
|Shane Angus, MSA|
|Jeffrey S. Berger, MD, MBA|
|Mark Brouilette, MD|
|Jane Easdown, MD|
|Mark J. Harris, MD, MPH|