Welcome to the Researcher Portal
FAER Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship
The Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) is seeking anesthesiology departments and research mentors to host medical students for summer research experiences in 2016. The application website for the 2016 program is now open and the deadline is October 1. For more information and to apply, visit FAER.org/MSARF.
Consultants in Medical Education Research
Medical Education Journals and Series
(Courtesy of Sharon Muret-Wagstaff, PhD)
- Academic Medicine - http://www.academicmedicine.org. A peer-reviewed monthly journal, serves as an international forum for the exchange of ideas and information about policy, issues, and research concerning academic medicine, including strengthening the quality of medical education and training, enhancing the search for biomedical knowledge, advancing research in health services, and integrating education and research into the provision of effective health care. It is the journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Advances in Health Sciences Education - http://www.springer.com/education+%26+language/journal/10459. An international journal published by Springer with a primary focus on linking theory to practice on all aspects of health sciences education. In addition to publishing research articles, the journal includes a Reflections section for critical reviews and new ideas, and several other non-research sections.
- Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1554-558X. A quarterly journal published since 1981 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., that focuses on the theory and practice of continuing education in the health sciences. Papers address the development, conduct, and evaluation of continuing education programs. The journal is co-sponsored by the Alliance for Continuing Medical Education, the Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education, and the Council on CME Association for Hospital Medical Education.
- Journal of Education in Perioperative Medicine (JEPM) - http://jepm.seahq.net. A semiannually official online journal published by the Society for Education in Anesthesia (SEA). This publication gives anesthesiology educators access to a quality peer-review publication process. In collaboration with Elsevier Science, SEA has established a parallel print publication process in the JEPM Section of the Journal of Clinical Anesthesia (JCA), now the official print journal of the SEA.
- Medical Education - http://www.mededuc.com. A monthly journal which seeks to be the pre-eminent journal in the field of education for learners, teachers, and health care professionals, published by Blackwell Publishing in the UK. The journal aims to publish material of the highest quality reflecting leading edge research and contemporary perspectives.
- Medical Teacher - http://www.medicalteacher.org. Journal of the Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) published 10 times a year by Informa Healthcare. The journal addresses the needs of teachers and administrators throughout the world involved in training for the health professions. The journal provides peer-reviewed accounts of new teaching methods, guidance on structuring courses and assessing achievement, and serves as a forum for communication between medical teachers and those involved in general education. In particular, the journal recognizes the problems teachers have in keeping up-to-date with the developments in educational methods that lead to more effective teaching and learning at a time when the content of the curriculum is also changing. The journal features reports of innovation and research in medical education, case studies, survey articles, practical guidelines, reviews of current literature, and book reviews.
- Teaching and Learning in Medicine - http://www.siumed.edu/dme/TLM.html. A quarterly, peer-reviewed, international journal published by Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. It aims to provide an international forum for state-of-the-art research on teaching and learning in the education of medical professionals. Its articles address practical issues in the conduct of medical education and provide analysis and empirical research needed to facilitate educational decision-making by administrators, teachers, and learners. Its scope includes all levels of medical education, from premedical to postgraduate and continuing medical education.
ABC of Learning and Teaching in Medicine: British Medical Journal Series
(Courtesy of Sharon Muret-Wagstaff, PhD)
- Kaufman DM. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Applying educational theory in practice. BMJ 2003; 326(Jan 25):213-216.
- Prideau D. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Curriculum design. BMJ 2003; 326 (Feb 1):268-270.
- Wood DF. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Problem based learning. BMJ 2003; 326(Feb 8):328-330.
- Morrison J. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Evaluation. BMJ 2003; 326(Feb 15):385-387.
- Cantillon P. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Teaching large groups. BMJ 2003; 326(Feb 22):437-440.
- Jaques D. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Teaching small groups. BMJ 2003; 326(Mar 1):492-494.
- Gordon J. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: One to one teaching and feedback. BMJ 2003; 326(Mar 8):543-545.
- Spencer J. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Learning and teaching in the clinical environment. BMJ 2003; 326(Mar 15):591-594.
- Schuwirth LWT, van der Vleuten CPM. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Written assessment. BMJ 2003; 326(Mar 22):643-645.
- Smee S. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Skill based assessment. BMJ 2003; 326(Mar 29):703-706.
- Norcini JJ. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Work based assessment. BMJ 2003; 326(Apr 5):753-755.
- Hutchinson L. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Educational environment. BMJ 2003; 326(Apr 12):810-812.
- McKimm J, Jollie C, Cantillon P. ABC of learning and teaching: Web based learning. BMJ 2003; 326(Apr 19):870-873.